Sunday, March 25, 2012

Myrilyn Monroe by Andy Warhol in 1960


Pop art was one of the most influential art movements of the 20th century and pop art grew up quickly. In the character of pop art is humor and commercial qualities and played a role in the revival of printmaking particularly in the U.S. in the 1960s. Television, radio, magazines, and advertisements are major themes of numerous pop art pieces. Andy Warhol is of course the most famous and well-known figure and was the forerunner of pop art. In the 1960, Andy Warhol created several “mass-produced” images from photographs of celebrities such as Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley. I really like this artwork “Marilyn Monroe”. This artwork is his most famous image of a famous personality was a screen print of Marilyn Monroe. This painting has really powerful image because of his color choice. To me, the interactive part of this work is his color choice. If I look at the work widely it seems like he painted by vivid colors but that is not true at all. There is vivid, neutral, pastel, and gloomy colors and their all colors are well combination. He used non-representational color and representational from to convey different sensations. Apply the same idea to portrait of Marilyn Monroe below, using the controls to adjust the colors. I am really impressive about how does the color affect the mood. My first saw this “Marilyn Monroe” artwork was two years ago in Korea. At that time, I did not even know anything about pop art and the artist Andy Warhol but I gradually fell into the his artworks and I was really interested in it as I looked around in the museum.

1 comment:

  1. It is very interesting that you seem to like both Vincent Van Gogh’s and Andy Warhol’s works. In some aspects, I have thought it is somewhat hard to like both works at once. They had very different perception, way of thinking, belief, attitude, lifestyle toward art, people, and the world. I think the point that leads you to be fond of both is color. Then, it reminds me of my respect toward existence of color and vision of the human eye. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete